Lake Toxaway Charities Steps Up During Crisis

Lake Toxaway Charities (LTC) recently raised over $175,000 in three months in response to its request to Lake Toxaway Estates residents for emergency funds to assist Transylvanians during the COVID-19 crisis.

“The response was humbling,” said Chip Brown, co-chair of the Charities. “We immediately sent out checks totaling over $80,000 to many of the local nonprofits that have experienced a huge increase in their client base, such as food pantries, medical providers, The Sharing House and SAFE, as well as the Rosman/Toxaway area schools.”

These emergency funds were donated to assist in meeting the virtual flood of grant requests due to the coronavirus and its critical impact on the county.

They are not included in the annual Charities grant requests because that money is not distributed until late June.

The need was immediate, as was the Charities’ response.

The balance of the emergency fund will be held in reserve and distributed throughout 2020 to meet the continuing needs of the nonprofits that serve county residents.

Just in the past 15 years, Lake Toxaway Charities has distributed over $3 million to Transylvania County non-profits, with $430,000 in grants awarded in 2019 alone.

More than 60 percent of its donations go to organizations involved in crisis prevention and critical care, and the remaining 40 percent funds educational endeavors.

Lake Toxaway Charities works within the “FOUR C’s” of giving: Care, Compassion and Concern for the community, according to Carroll Summerour, chair of the LTC Grants Committee.

“In 2020 we expanded our financial support from 44 to 51 nonprofits in Transylvania County through our annual grant program,” she said. “Each nonprofit is visited by members of the committee once a grant request is received.

“This gives our committee an on-site experience touring the facilities and a chance to meet the staff.”

Diane Roberts, co-chair and treasurer of Lake Toxaway Charities reports, “We awarded a record $550,555 in grants this June, and the gratitude of the recipients is heart-warming. As we have done for over 45 years, we continue to reach out to meet the needs of many local nonprofits through immediate crisis and annual grant funding.”

The following are a few examples of what was recently funded:

•new weight room equipment for students at Rosman middle and high schools;

•new musical instruments for the Rosman High School band;

•a grant to fund Backpack Buddies for area schools;

•the Augustine Literacy Project;

•Meals on Wheels, which received not only emergency relief funds but also a grant to continue providing hot meals to the home-bound in Western Transylvania County; and

•a special one-time donation to purchase gifts to honor graduating Rosman High School seniors.

Jenny Renfroe, co-chair of the Charities, said, “We are so grateful for the generosity of our donors, which gives us the ability to assist where it is needed the most and respond quickly to ensure our community maintains the dignity and the well-being of all our neighbors.”

Leanne Owen, a graduating RHS senior, wrote, “Thank you so much. Your kind contribution has made this hard time so much brighter.”

Salley Stepp, director of SAFE, wrote, “Thank you for this financial gift. It allowed us to continue serving clients during this unsettling crisis.”

Lydia Perry, of God’s Way Food Pantry in Balsam Grove, in her heartfelt note said, “We are humbled at your continued willingness to support the needy in our mountains.”

The smiles on the faces of those assisted in the community are the rewards for Lake Toxaway Charities, it donors and committee members.

Read the article on the Transylvania Times site by clicking here

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: